Community

About the Community
Chisago county was organized on September 1, 1851. The name "Chisago" comes from the Chippewa Indian word, "Ki-Chi-Saga", which means "Fair and Lovely Lakes."

The first county election was held on October 14, 1851, with 23 votes cast. The first Board of county Commissioners were: Samuel Thompson, Y.F. Moreton, and N.C.D. Taylor. Commissioner Thompson hosted the first meeting at his home on January 5, 1852. Taylors Falls was chosen as the county Seat. Back then, the courthouse was referred to as the 'Seat of Justice of Chisago county.'

The Courthouse was moved to Chisago city on November 24, 1865. It remained there until 1876, when it was moved to Center city, where it is today. The wood frame courthouse, built in Center city in 1876, stood at the site of the new Government Center until 1990, when it was moved to the grounds of the Almelund Threshing Bee.

Chisago county is currently served by 9 elected officials (Attorney, Auditor, Sheriff, Treasurer, 5 Commissioners), and 9 appointed officials (Assessor, Court Administration, Court Services, Environmental Services / Zoning, Extension, Human Services, Public Works, Recorder, and Veterans Services / Civil Defense).

Chisago county covers an area of 451.66 square miles.

There is an 11 page brochure detailing the history of Chisago county and highlighting the various departments is available for your review.

Population Information
The population of Chisago county increased steadily until 1920. From that time until 1960, the population was on a decline. Since then, however, there has been steady growth.

Population figures available are as follows:
Year
Population
1860 1,743
1870 4,358
1880 7,982
1890 10,359
1900 13,248
1910
13,537
1920
14,445
1930
13,189
1940
13,124
1950
12,189
1960
13,419
1970
17,340
1980
25,517
1990
30,521
2000
41,101
2010
53,887